Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ping Pong Table Cup Cakes!

It was my friend's birthday this Labor Day weekend (as it is wont to be every Labor Day weekend), and from nearly a month ago, she told me: I want to play ping pong on my birthday. She even considered having her birthday a) at her office (which would suck) or b) at Finnegan's in Cole Valley (since they have a ping pong table there) but nixed the idea. Instead she planned a barbecue on a lovely Sunday afternoon in a backyard of the always lovely Western Addition of San Francisco.

I had originally planned on making "cute" cupcakes for her on her birthday (I've never done anything of the sort, and since I'm diabetic, I never ever make cupcakes) so I hoped that it would be sufficiently both tasty and cute.

I decided to make a cup cake ping pong table. With the sage advice of cupcake mistress extraordinaire KinderCommando, I purchased a square Calphalon cupcake pan and thought about how to design this tasty table treat.

I finally decided on a table sized with 5 X 3 double stacked square carrot cake cupcakes with a handmade cream cheese and cinnamon frosting, paddles made out of toothpicks and Haribo black licorice wheels, a ping pong ball out of a tic tac, a ton of green sprinkles (the store did not have green frosting, but the green sprinkles came out really well), and the net made out of pushpins, two candles, and white mesh.

With my vision, The Millionizer, who was visiting me from the Santa C, assumed the role of lead cake stylist. In Project Runway terms, I was the designer, and she was the TreSemme Hair Salon, L'Oreal Make Up Room, and Bluefly accessory wall. Our finished product came out magnificently, and the birthday girl was all surprise and happiness when she saw our creation. The actual cake was delicious as well, and many compliments were sent to the chefs, who left full and happy.

Happy Birthday Sarah, we hoped you had as much fun eating it as we did creating it!





8 comments:

Carla D said...

OMG!! Awesome Ed!

Allison said...

can you make me a beer pong cake for my birthday?

troymccluresf said...

Wow, well done! I like the green sprinkles... very lawn-like.

djshank said...

Hell Yeah!!! BEST CAKE EVER!!!! Thanks to you and lee-ana!!!!

laurenjsummers said...

ed! those came out so cute!!! and quite tasty looking!

Ksenya said...

very good. i knew you come from a creative family.

Omid Abroad said...

Beautiful... reminds me of all those nights we spent hanging out at Bar None!! OMG!!

Michelle said...

Holy shit, Ed. Looks amazing!
http://foodstuff.tumblr.com/