Monday, June 30, 2008

Pride SF

San Francisco was overcast, the air was filled with smoke from the hundreds of fires surrounding the Bay Area, and I was hungover like a mofo, but it still chokes me up every time I see kids with "I <3 My Two Moms" and "My Two Dads Love Me" signs and t-shirts at Pride. You don't need to be a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, gendernorm, or hetero to enjoy Pride. You just need to have a heart.

Maria was talking to a photographer for multiple mainstream media (MSM) outlets, who said that the MSM was looking for pictures this year not of the crazy colorful wackos of Gay Pride Norm, but instead of normal-looking happy couples who had just gotten married. I suppose that's a good thing - most of America needs to be fed the "Gay! They're just like us!" line - but in another way, I think it's ok to be as weird or as colorful or as insane as you want, as long as you are not hurting yourself or others, and that people shouldn't be afraid of that. Oh well.

Anyways, I saw fisting for the first time this year, ate bacondogs, sang Karaoke at the Energy 92.7 and Wells Fargo booth, missed Crystal Waters (SOOO SAD!), and danced around to Kat Deluna (WHINE UP!).

Happy Pride, here's to love and equality for all. This November should be fun, both in California (November ballot initiatives tug at personal convictions) and nationally (Barack Obama).

photo credit: Christina Izzo /The Chronicle

3 comments:

eM said...

I LOVE my hometown so much

Maria said...

BEST PRIDE EVER. The bacon dog cart at the end really made the day complete.

x said...

damn... fisting.

of all the sex acts ... to do in public... i guess, actually, that might be one of the less offensive ones.