Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I Lost Me to Meth

When I was growing up, California was deluged with anti-smoking campaigns. I will always recall the women who had to stick a cigarette through the hole burned through her neck in order to breath or some crazy shit like that, and hence, I never touched a cigarette until I turned 21... and well after I had begun drinking and uh, experimenting.

I think we've all seen the advertisements in subway stations, on buses, on TV... the very high profile ad campaign titled "Me Not Meth" which is "aimed at gay and bisexual men, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)" according to the MeNotMeth website. The TV ad was directed by Joel Schumacher and aired on several shows aimed at gay men including (shut up, Lizzie forced me to watch it) The Hills.

Anyways, there are several print ads, all of which can be found here, and which show pretty much ominous and hella janky dudes who are meth heads with sad sayings around them. The one that caught my eye exiting the Church Street Station in San Francisco was this one below:


I know it's hard to read but it says "My family was ok with me being gay. But I lost them because of meth."

DRAMA!

So with inspiration, I (with the help of my friend Brendan) made a wonderful inspirational poster I think should be the focus of a NEW statewide campaign against ONE OF THE MOST HARMFUL ADDICTIONS AROUND, CIGARETTES.


"My family supported me when they found out I did meth. But when I started smoking cigarettes I lost it all... MeNotCigs.org"

I can be a source of strength for cigarette smokers everywhere.

5 comments:

x said...

have you noticed that the spanish-language campaign changes the emphasis, so it reads "i lost my family to meth. i lost EVERYTHING." i can't tell if i think it's really in touch with latino values or stereotyping or both.

dannyman said...

I lost you, Ed?

OMFG I LOST YOU OH GOD SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO SMOKING THOSE CIGARETTES YOU DUMBASS!?

-d

Allison said...

eddo, i lost you to tequila a loooong time ago.

eddo said...

i thought this someecard was perfect... http://www.someecards.com/upload/most_popular/my_resolution_is_to_get_healthier.html

eddo said...

Eff that, it doesn't automatically hyperlink. Whatev.