Tuesday, April 15, 2008

San Francisco Liberals...

are just as bad as Texas conservatives.

If you haven't heard, in a recent San Francisco fundraiser, when asked about the difficulty of luring blue-collar voters in Pennsylvania (and presumably, beyond), Barack Obama responded with "you go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and ... the jobs have been gone now for 25 years, and nothing's replaced them. It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

With full disclosure, when the California primary came around, I voted for Hillary. But realistically, if the primary in California were to be held today, I may even be persuaded to vote for Obama. I thought his speech in Philadelphia was incredible, I thought it might possibly be the most eloquent, appropriate, and politically daring speech to be delivered in my young life. No matter who receives the Democratic nomination for President, I will be proud to vote for either candidate for POTUS, Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.

What am I more disgusted with is the reaction that the quote received not from the blue-collar voters, but instead from the supposedly educated and liberal citizens of the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't care how much anecdotal evidence you have, I don't care where you're from or where your family lives, but to say things like "I don't even know what's wrong with his quote," and "What he says is right, I don't understand what the big deal is" is so completely out of touch with reality that it absolutely blindsides me. I immediately think: Stuff White People Like: Knowing What's Best for Poor People.

If you don't understand that some random person running for the leader of our country implies that the reason you turn to religion, the reason you believe in the 2nd Amendment, the reason you want immigration and trade laws enforced is because you are "bitter" and because you don't have a job - well, I don't know what to tell you.

And yes, I say, we are out of touch with the rest of America, and I think that's ok. But to be so pretentious and so presumptive about how people who don't live like us think, it is almost as insulting to them as it is to us when outsiders imply that San Franciscans are gay smug pot-smoking hippies. Essentially, it is a caricature and it is incorrect and it is judgmental and insulting. We are not better or worse because of where we live or because of our education or our race or our income or our place of employment. We're different, and that's fine. Let's just try not to be assholes about it, ok?

I love how everytime something happens in San Francisco, the SF Chronicle decides to be lazy and rerun the same "What?! Us?! Liberals?! People view *us* as SMUG?!?!" article. We take pride in our liberalism, and then we are surprised when others call us out on it. We can't have it both ways - we can't be both patronizing and idolized at the same time.

Besides, everyone knows the only reason educated white people vote for Barack Obama is because they still feel guilty about slavery and Jim Crow.

See how that feels?

2 comments:

Omid Abroad said...

I found his comments about middle-America being "bitter," xenophobic, religious, etc. from a lack of jobs and years of inequity to be pretty shocking and elitist.

It has nothing to do with jobs or bitterness! Sheesh.

Anyone can see that they hang on to guns and religion because they're back-assward uneducated hicks.

eddo said...

Exactly!

But hey, there are reasons I cling to conspicuous consumption and alcohol and therapy and lattes and excess food, and I'll be damned if a politician tells me it's because I am only hiding from the self-crushing depression that envelopes my life!